LEANDER CLASS LIGHT CRUISER

WEA PONS OF WAR

THE FIRST CLASS OF BRITISH LIGHT CRUISERS BUILT UNDER THE TERMS OF THE 1930 LONDON CONFERENCE, THE LEANDER CLASS HAD A REPUTATION FOR RUGGEDNESS, GOOD SEAKEEPING, AND SPEED.

Two of Sydney’s 4in guns. All ships of the class, except Sydney and Achilles, had these replaced with twin mounts by 1938.
(STATE LIBRARY OF VICTORIA)

Seeing action in every theatre of the Second World War, the eight British-built Leander-class cruisers were an essential part of the Royal Navy’s maritime power but are often overlooked in favour of newer ships. The class also provided the Royal Australian Navy with the bulk of its major surface units and the fledgling Royal New Zealand Navy its first two major warships.

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active subscription.

Existing subscriber? Sign in now

No subscription?

Pick one of our introductory offers