Craig Moore goes hunting for the location of a World War One presentation tank
Between October 14, 1919, and February 1931, a British Mk IV Male tank number 2336, with a home service number 101 painted on its side, was displayed on a raised ramp outside the British Museum entrance in Montague Place at the junction with British Museum Avenue.
It was one of the tanks that were offered by the National War Savings Committee to 264 towns and cities in England and Wales as an acknowledgement of the large amount of money raised during the war effort fundraising ‘Tank Week’ events in 1918.
The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn municipal engineering and the sanitary minutes recorded the discussion about the construction of the base. It was decided to build a ramp using reinforced metalwork and concrete, with decorative concrete blocks around the sides.