Robert U’Ren explains how to get an old vehicle registered for the road

MAIN IMAGE: An unusual Metamet conversion

Over the years I have purchased many Jeeps that were not road registered or where the old registration documents had been lost. I have usually been able to obtain a replacement V5 registration document for road use or, if not, have re-registered them with an ageappropriate UK numberplate, providing they had a serial number or a chassis/ VIN number.

If the vehicle hasn’t been registered in the UK before and you don’t have a numberplate, registration document or certificate of title from the country it came from, it will have to be examined by a relevant military vehicle club like the Military Vehicle Trust or Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society. Filling out the relevant paperwork is an easy job once you get the hang of it.

If the vehicle has a UK registration number but the documents have been lost, it should be possible to obtain a replacement registration document, providing the registration number is entered into the DVLA online database. You can check this yourself by logging onto the website at and searching the MOT history. It is free to check if the vehicle’s registration number is listed and if it matches the vehicle description. This is a great service and you can also use it to check the vehicle’s MOT history, corrosion reports, and any mileage discrepancies on any cars you might be thinking of buying.

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active subscription.

Existing subscriber? Sign in now

No subscription?

Pick one of our introductory offers